3.21.2009

The Dogwood: Baltimore, MD (Hampden)

Friday night, Kevin and I wanted a healthy dinner out. Since my weekends are usually where I slip up eating-wise, I googled "Healthy Restaurants in Baltimore". A few cool places popped up, but we ended up choosing The Dogwood because of the way it was summarized on the website and I have heard a few good things about it.



The Dogwood: Neighborhood Gourmet.
The Dogwood offers you a neighborhood gourmet experience, down-to-earth elegance that welcomes and nourishes you from start to finish. Our menus, featuring what is freshest and most breathtaking in each season, invite you to celebrate the farmers, the fishing boats, our chefs’ working hands.
This restaurant is located in the Hampden neighborhood of Baltimore city, which is a cool, eclectic area with a ton of interesting shops and restaurants. The front of the restaurant is not visually appealing at all and I was a little worried.

But, as soon as we walked through the doors, it led us down a long downward walkway into a great space, so all was OK. Water glasses were promptly filled and I made sure to get a picture because I love different-looking water glasses. In the background, you can see my boyfriend's dimple-face which equals happiness.
The homemade Irish Brown Bread with Mango-chutney butter was quickly gobbled up. Very dense and moist bread.
To start, I ordered the Warm Fig - Goat Cheese Strudel baked in phyllo dough served over baby greens with a pumpkin seed - honey granola and madras spice oil.
I guess I am not as "figged out" as I had mentioned a few days ago because I ate every single bite.

Kevin ordered the Pan Seared Sea Scallops to start which came served with house-made chorizo, caramelized pineapple and spicy grits.
Perfectly cooked and it was topped with the fancy "foam stuff" that one guy from top chef used to do all the time. Marcel, right?

After much discussion, we both ordered the same entree. Yes, it sounded THAT good. Pan Seared Rockfish with a pumpkin seed crust, grilled polenta-root vegetable hash, tomato and pasilla pepper molasses.More "foam-stuff" that I will admit - weirds me out slightly since it closely resembles spit, but it sure was tasty spit. The fish was cooked perfectly - more perfectly than anything I can explain. And the polenta-vegetable hash with that sauce - I am running out of descriptive food words that do it justice.

No dessert since we were pretty stuffed, but the choices sounded great. I specifically remember seeing a Chocolate Pot de Creme that I would love to try next time.

While we decided to go the entree route this time, but next time I go, I would love to order a few of the small plates to be able to try more things. The great thing about this restaurant is that they had a ton of choices that would be great for a lighter meal. Lighter on the wallet and stomach.

Our waitress told us the chef is working on his spring menu, so we will definitely be going back to check that out!


Dogwood Restaurant on Urbanspoon

22 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl March 21, 2009 at 9:25 PM  

Oooh, Mango-chutney butter??? Sounds intriguing!!

Great restaurant review!! Definitely go back when the spring menu is available :-)

Balance, Joy and Delicias! March 21, 2009 at 9:44 PM  

great food, great review! :D I'll stop by if I go to Baltimore!

RunningLaur March 21, 2009 at 9:48 PM  

Looks good!

Erica March 21, 2009 at 11:15 PM  

Great review! Don't you love google? You can type in pretty much any random phrase and find EXACTLY what you're looking for. Dinner looks great! My favorite part would def be the healthier bread with mango chutney butter!!!!

ChickPea March 22, 2009 at 1:42 AM  

pumpkin seed honey granola?! Sounds delish.

Anonymous March 22, 2009 at 7:01 AM  

Yum! That looks really fancy and had some tasty items. FIGS!
What a cute picture of your smiling bf!

Anonymous March 22, 2009 at 7:01 AM  

P.S. YES Marcel! Ya either love him or hate him!

Anonymous March 22, 2009 at 8:42 AM  

Glad you had a nice experience. All the food looks great.

K from ksgoodeats March 22, 2009 at 9:21 AM  

Haha! I love your foam-stuff analogy :)

Looks like a great dinner! Thanks for the review!!

Kara March 22, 2009 at 12:26 PM  

You make me excited about my possible move to Baltimore :)

Anonymous March 22, 2009 at 12:33 PM  

HAHA tasty spit yummo!;) You had me @ mango-chutney butter!

Anonymous March 22, 2009 at 1:59 PM  

That place looks great! The mango-chutney butter sounds really interesting.

Anonymous March 22, 2009 at 5:02 PM  

Wow, that restaurant sound awesome! That fish looked done perfectly. Good for you for searching out healthy eats on the weekend.

I Run for Fun March 22, 2009 at 8:43 PM  

Great review, Lauren. Everything looks so good. The plating is awesome.

Julie March 22, 2009 at 9:12 PM  

oh wow that restaurant looks delissssh :)

Anonymous March 22, 2009 at 9:22 PM  

everything looks so decadent! I absolutely love caramelized pineapple - and I dont blame you for not getting dessert, I would be stuffed!

Anonymous March 23, 2009 at 8:27 AM  

Wonderful review. LOL @ "Foam Stuff"

runjen March 23, 2009 at 8:53 AM  

Great review! Holy Yum, everything looks amazing!

The Purple Carrot March 23, 2009 at 10:49 AM  

That sounds like a wonderful restaurant! I would be excited about the spring menu ... yum!!

CT March 23, 2009 at 2:25 PM  

Ooh, this place sounds good. My husband and I will have to give it a try. Don't know if you've ever been, but if not, try Red Star. It's on Wolfe St. in Fells Point. By far my favorite restaurant that I've been to since moving to Baltimore two years ago.

Rose March 24, 2009 at 11:59 AM  

This place looks great. A must try. Was it expensive?

Anonymous March 26, 2009 at 11:28 PM  

Pan Seared Rockfish with a pumpkin seed crust, grilled polenta-root vegetable hash, tomato and pasilla pepper molasses.

the look of it made me hungry!

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP