3.18.2009

Corned Beef & Cabbage plus Other Stuff

As soon as I walked into my house after work yesterday - I wanted to eat the air because it smelled that good. I asked myself a million times - why don't I use the crock pot more often? But, I still don't think I could do it every day for a year - now THAT is impressive!


After Oscar's walk in the park, we waited out on the front steps for Kevin to get home so I could watch his face as he walked into glorious smelling house. (I nominate myself for the "weird foodie award" for the day.)


I tried to hold back, but ended up sampling too much corned beef and cabbage before heading to the gym. I paid for it by having a horrible cramp for the first mile of my run. I managed to run 4 miles, but it was slow-going, and my stomach was yelling at me for the corned beef and cabbage shaking around in there.



Coming home, I felt icky and wasn't up to more corned beef and cabbage, so I took a picture of Kevin's plate.
Everything caramelized nicely and had a ton of flavor. The meat would fall apart to the touch...extremely tender. The one drawback of this meal - the meat was too fatty for me. I hate seeing the fat on meat and had to pick around the pieces I ate earlier.



I had a whole wheat pita w/ almond butter and honey for dinner instead. It was melty and dripping everywhere, so no picture.


Other Stuff


Whipped up steel cut oats, honey, almond butter, strawberries, and chopped pecans for a filling bowl of goodness this morning.
Served in one of my new bowls. This is a great medium-size bowl I picked up over the weekend as I am trying to improve my bowl/plate selection - for your viewing pleasure.


First Mountain Bike Race

As I was updating my Race Calendar list yesterday, I realized that I have my FIRST-EVER mountain bike race this weekend. I think I have been in denial it was so close. I have not been on my mountain bike in months and the thought of competing in my first race makes my stomach flip-flop.



I need to do this to prepare myself for the Adventure Race in April and then the Off-Road Duathlon in July. I am entered in the Cat 3 (beginner) division and we will do two 5-mile loops. The course is described as "five miles of fast single track and double track through forests and abandoned farmland." They stagger the starting times, so hopefully some scary PRO wont push me off a cliff on a single track, as he laps me. This is who I picture:
Since the weather is back to spring-like conditions - Kevin and I are going to try to get a ride in tonight. Few important things that have to happen before that:
  1. get some air in my tires
  2. find my helmet
  3. see if I have any cool mountain bike gear for my first race. ;)

Man, I am wordy today...hopefully I will be back later tonight with a mountain bike ride recap.


Blog Set-Up

I think I am just about finished updating all the content for the new the blog layout.

Let me know what you guys think - anything else you would like to see?

24 comments:

Julie March 18, 2009 at 2:23 PM  

Your blog is look fab girl :) Ugh I HATE food cramps when you work out! They ruin everything! Yay for a bike race!!

LizNoVeggieGirl March 18, 2009 at 2:24 PM  

ROCK OUT THE UPCOMING RACE!!

The Purple Carrot March 18, 2009 at 2:27 PM  

Crock pot for a year?? I defintely coudln't do that! (But I agree, I LOVE how it makes your whole house smell so wonderful!!)

That bike race sounds really neat ... good luck!!

Anonymous March 18, 2009 at 2:44 PM  

ahh that's so fun! You're gonna ROCK it :D And I also hope that you don't fall off a cliff. As for the weird foodie award, ha I would LOVE to see that among the many "blogger love" and "Cute-sy blog" awards!

Balance, Joy and Delicias! March 18, 2009 at 3:02 PM  

love your new bowl! I've been looking for a nice glass bowl for my oatmeal...... where did you get it?

tfh March 18, 2009 at 3:03 PM  

You're brave to do the mountain biking race. But I have a feeling you'll love it-- everyone I know who has tried gets really into it. Good adrenaline. :)

Anonymous March 18, 2009 at 4:02 PM  

Beautiful new bowl! :)

Good luck on the race!

Lori March 18, 2009 at 4:17 PM  

Oh man, if you smelled it when you got home, think about poor Oscar. Does he stay in the during the day? He was probably going nuts. Ha, ha!

Love your new bowls! Hope the race goes well this weekend. I also, love the new layout. Can't think of anything I would suggest changin.

lizzy March 18, 2009 at 4:28 PM  

the crockpot is my LOVE! so easy and sooo good! your oatmeal looks beautifully delicious! i miss eating nuts!!! hope ur having a great day!!

Bec March 18, 2009 at 4:30 PM  

Ooo, good luck with the race!

Unknown March 18, 2009 at 5:20 PM  

good luck with the off-road race!! great looking corned beef :) mom always makes it, but i haven't done it myself. but i DO ask myself that about the crockpot each time i use it :)

K from ksgoodeats March 18, 2009 at 5:35 PM  

Good luck with the race!! Ah yes, boiled dinner - makes the house smell wonderful ;)

Anonymous March 18, 2009 at 6:11 PM  

Blog looks great!

My mom used to be obsessed with her crock pot and we would eat something from it every night. Most of the recipes sucked! Haha. That corned beef looks amazing though!

Kara March 18, 2009 at 6:49 PM  

I like the way it looks! I am really weird about food, too, especially when I'm making it for other people ;)

Erica March 18, 2009 at 7:53 PM  

yum! I hate when I snack too much before the gym and get that icky tummy feeling! Glad you made it through your run despite it al!

Anonymous March 18, 2009 at 8:55 PM  

Hey lady,
I love your new bowl! I like your new layout. Oh, and crockpot cooking RULES. Makes life so much easier.

ChickPea March 19, 2009 at 12:37 AM  

Ooh! I love that glass bowl! So pretty.

Anonymous March 19, 2009 at 1:30 AM  

Cabbage + running = very VERY bad

I like your new bowls, but they don't leave your spoon a lot of room for action ;)

Anonymous March 19, 2009 at 7:38 AM  

I didn't know you had so many fun bike races ahead! The off road duathlon sounds like it will be a great time.

lauren March 19, 2009 at 8:46 AM  

julie/I know! I was so mad at myself for eating that much before my run.

lesley/yeah - check out that woman's blog - she made something new in the crockpot every day and blogged about it!

carolinebee/totally! would shake things up a bit. ;)

balancejoy/I found the bowl at bed bath and beyond! but have heard IKEA has a ton of glass dishes also.

Lori/I know! Oscar was begging like never before when I was munching on the corned beef. I made sure he got to taste what he was smelling all day.

sarah/You are exactly right about the cabbage/running combo. Never again.

d10/yeah, i am trying to mix it up again since last year was so focused on the marathon training. should be fun. :)

elise March 19, 2009 at 11:55 AM  

food cramps are no good. crock pots are marvelous...itll be my first purchase once i move into a real house with a normal sized kitchen. one day...

Dewi March 19, 2009 at 12:29 PM  

This is my husband favorite meal. I don't make it that often, now I think it's time for me to make it again.
Cheers,
elra

Tyler March 19, 2009 at 2:30 PM  

good luck in the mountain bike race! that sounds fun :)

I Run for Fun March 19, 2009 at 11:44 PM  

Lauren, your corned beef and cabbage looks sooo good. I can almost smell it!

Your blog's been looking better and better. Love the new additions. Did you make all the changes yourself?

Enjoy the race. Look forward to the report.

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP