3.31.2009

Cannon Balls and Chicken Stix

Monday is ovah!! But to back up to Monday for a second...I didn't get a chance to go to the grocery store Sunday, so while I had things for snacks - I decided to pick up my favorite sandwich for lunch.

Veggie Sandwich from Catonsville Gourmet. I have never gotten anything else here because I love this sandwich so much. Grilled Veggie Burger w/ cucumbers, tomato, lettuce, sprouts, and wasabi mayo on whole wheat toast. Now I hate mayo, but they barely put any on and I really only taste the wasabi kick. The veggie burger has that grilled flavor that I adore.

After work, I came home to some FUN mail from Kristina @ Stonyfield. Coupons for Oikos Organic Greek Yogurt, some information about their product and a reusable bag!
I actually tried to cash in these coupons at the grocery store last night, but they were SOLD OUT of the Oikos Organic Greek Yogurt, so I will have to pick it up next time!


Last night, I wasn't in the mood to spin, so instead I spent 45 mins on the Arc Trainer and my legs were burning. Felt great.


After the gym, Kevin and I headed to the grocery store and we were RAVENOUS. We split up and sped through our shopping, although a bag of Pirates Cannon Balls was opened during our shopping because we just couldn't wait.
Coming home, I had a quick and easy Tofu Stir-Fry planned, but while the tofu was pressing, I remembered I had stashed these beauties in the freezer for a rainy day.

2 stix = 100 calories, 4.5g fat, 5g protein

We baked the entire box in 12 mins flat and I ate 4 - they were incredible. I was in a zone and couldn't be stopped.
The dipping sauce we used is actually a salad dressing we picked up at the store. Makoto Honey Ginger Dressing.
It tastes like the dressing on the salads at sushi restaurants. I am picky about salad dressings and I could eat this with a spoon. I tried to get a picture of the nutrition facts, but it came out blurry. (Website link: here, if you want the info.)


By the time dinner was served, I was full of Balls and Stix. Super nutritious, I know.
I ate a few bites of Tofu Stir-fry and was FULL.


Do you usually have a snack while you are making dinner? If so, what is your go-to snack?


My favorite light post-gym/pre-dinner snacks are either sliced zucchini w/ hummus or a handful of roasted peanuts.


*Coming Soon*
  • Apricot Oatmeal/Coconut Bar recipe from mom
  • ...and I was tagged to write about My Favorite Things. I am going to do a food themed list. :)

See ya later!

28 comments:

Rose March 31, 2009 at 12:38 PM  

Do you like the C-ville Gourmet? My coworkers are always talking about it.

Gosh, we must work ridiculously close to one another.

The Purple Carrot March 31, 2009 at 12:44 PM  

I typically stitch from things like veggies or fruit that I'm cooking with while I'm cooking it. (though I'm trying to be less of a "snitcher" haha).

Your stir-fry looks good!!

tfh March 31, 2009 at 1:05 PM  

I used to buy salad dressing (in to-go containers) from my favorite sushi restaurant because I love it so-- I'm so excited to try the dressing you posted because that got to be an expensive habit! As for snacking, lately I've been pretty virtuous and had a small smoothie while making dinner, but if I go shopping at TJ's before dinner I usually end up with something cookie-like and appetite-destroying.

Erin March 31, 2009 at 1:20 PM  

I don't normally snack while I make dinner, but if starving, I'll have a handful of almonds or 1 slice of lunch meat. The protein holds me over.

Those eggroll things look fab. How close are you to TJs? We're 30mins and it kills me being so far away. :(

Anonymous March 31, 2009 at 1:26 PM  

I like Leslie, usually snack of what I am making or I'll grab a handful of almonds. :)

Anonymous March 31, 2009 at 1:30 PM  

I usually snack on whatever is in my pantry and easy to grab - nuts or trailmix type snacks.

Ali March 31, 2009 at 1:37 PM  

Jalapeno hummus with either cucumber slices or crackers is my current fav snack, my worst habit is cold left overs, those don't normally sit that well!

Julie March 31, 2009 at 1:43 PM  

haha I'm ALWAYS eating carrots and salsa when I make dinner. That tofu stir-fry looks SO good :)

Erica March 31, 2009 at 1:43 PM  

mmm that sammy from catonsville sounds AWESOME! Sometimes its not so bad to not make it to the store ;) I do have a tendency to snack while I cook. I try to stick to fruit or veggies so I don't get toooo full, but I have def had nights were I end up too full to eat much of dinner! The oikos is awesome. You will enjoy it!

Melissa March 31, 2009 at 1:51 PM  

hahaha Balls and stix.

I don't usually snack while making dinner.... but if I have gum around I will usually have a piece.

The stir-fry looks fab.

Anonymous March 31, 2009 at 1:58 PM  

Delish stir fry! I usually snack on veggies and hummus hence why they're always my sides!

By the way, your version of a mental health day from my blog was perfection! I enjoyed reading the weather ;)

Erin and Jesse March 31, 2009 at 2:22 PM  

Baby carrots and hummus.. it's like i cant cook dinner without them.

Balance, Joy and Delicias! March 31, 2009 at 2:55 PM  

I want the sandwich you had for lunch..it looks so delicious!!1
and those sticks look appetizing as well?!

snack when cooking? fresh veggies/fruits! :)

Georgie Fear, RD, CPT March 31, 2009 at 3:18 PM  

I always have to take the dog out for a walk right when I get home, so I keep a big bowl of giant apples on the counter. I grab one in one hand, leash in the other and we're off.

This instant snack tackles the immediate munchies and is portable, but doesnt ruin my dinner appetite.

:) Great post

lauren March 31, 2009 at 3:32 PM  

rose/I love catonsville gourmet! I would like to branch out and try other things, but havent been able to yet - I just love that sandwich. We should meet for lunch one day soon!

lesley/I hear ya on that. I am a BIG snitcher too.

tfh/you are so smart to do that! but yes - if you like the stuff at sushi restaurants - you will LOVE this stuff. trader joes gets me like that too. I like to sample one of everything I buy when I get home.

erin\ohh - lunchmeat is a good idea. I live about 20 mins, but I work about 10 mins from one. So I tend to make trips during my lunch break often.

onelittletrigirl, runsarah, erinandjesse\welcome! thanks for the comment. I am going to check out your blogs now.

Ali\ jalapeno hummus?! where do you find that?

melissa\I need to try your gum trick. Would definitely be better than the balls and stix from last night. ;)

ksgoodeats\ ha! its amazing how weather can change my mood. :)

georgiefear\good idea. I take my dog every night too, so I think I may try that tonight.

Grace March 31, 2009 at 4:03 PM  

Loved dinner last night. It was great. Can't wait to head to catonsville gourmet w/ you

Anonymous March 31, 2009 at 4:19 PM  

I love your sando. Esp the wasabi component!
I don't snack during dinner but sometimes I think I should! I get cranky but have all these stupid rules for myself! Time to break them!

Sarah (lovINmytummy) March 31, 2009 at 6:08 PM  

I eat a crazy ton of carrots. I don't post them all because I would never stop taking pictures. I go through a 10 lb. Costco bag every 2 weeks. I am orange.

Any open bag of any cheesy booty item doesn't last long in my house.

Matt March 31, 2009 at 6:55 PM  

I usually just kind of pick at the stuff I am cooking while I wait. Haha.

Anonymous March 31, 2009 at 7:27 PM  

Its official I'm hungry. That sandwich looked so good.

Kara March 31, 2009 at 9:45 PM  

I love those chicken stix!! Ooohh Tj's <3

Anonymous March 31, 2009 at 11:26 PM  

While I am making dinner, I tend to nibble on whatever is close by...its a terrible habit, most of the time its raw veggies though, so not too bad - but I having a set go-to snack sounds so much better.

ChickPea April 1, 2009 at 12:10 AM  

Cool reuseable bag! I am always in search of more of those--somehow I lost them in the depths of the car.

That dressing sounds good. I buy one from Whole Foods that tastes the like the one at restaurants--but it costs $5.59! I hope that one is less expensive.

I usually just snack on the components of whatever I am preparing for dinner!

SeeGirlRun April 1, 2009 at 8:51 AM  

I have to say that you make the weirdest food look appetizing! I'm even tempted to try some of it in place of my pot roast or meat loaf. Seriously!

Katie April 1, 2009 at 12:03 PM  

My favorite snack while cooking is whole wheat toast with a little spray butter.

Caitlin April 1, 2009 at 5:31 PM  

I can never resist Pirate's Booty whenever I buy it either:) And when I'm cooking I just end up snacking on whatever I'm chopping or adding into my dinner.

Bec April 1, 2009 at 9:19 PM  

I am always too scared to eat food before I get to the checkout, though I think I should have on Monday!

I Run for Fun April 1, 2009 at 10:22 PM  

Such a dangerous thing, going grocery shopping when you're hungry!

I love the neat, interesting things you buy at the grocery. I always end up with the same old boring stuff!

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP