10.27.2009

Training for Philly Marathon

The Philadelphia Marathon is less than 1 month away.  Training has been going, but it hasnt been going exactly as planned.  Looking back to this post where I laid out my training plan, I wanted to compare my plan versus what actually has occurred:

  • 8/29 - 12 miles - Completed 12m
  • 9/5 - 14 miles - Completed 14m
  • 9/12 -15 miles - Completed 15m
  • 9/20 -17+3 (Bagel 2 Beer, run 17, walk last 3) - Completed 17m
  • 9/26 - off weekend from distance - Completed 15m
  • 10/3 - 18 miles - Completed 15m
I had plans to go away for the weekend immediately after the run.  I stopped short because I wanted to make sure I could meet everyone in time for lunch.  I was hungry.  :)
I went away to spend time with friends in Brigantine, NJ.  It was a miserable weekend weather-wise - Rain/Wind/Cold.  I attempted to go out for my long run, but after being pelted by rain and wind - I gave up.  Big wimp alert.
  • 10/24 - 15 miles - Completed 17m, added 2 miles to try and make up for the weekend before.
I felt pretty good during the beginning of this 17 mile training run.  It was a perfect fall day, which was great for running.  Around mile 13, my legs started feeling heavy and mentally, I was having a hard time staying motivated.  With a little over 2 miles to go, we decided to switch to a modified Galloway method.  Run 10 mins - walk 1 min.  It worked well and may be something I use during the Philadelphia Marathon.
  • 10/31 - 22 miles
  • 11/7 - 12 miles
  • 11/14 - off weekend from long distance
  • 11/22 - Philadelphia Marathon!!
As you can see, I am behind in training and have my excuses listed where I slacked off.  This weekend, we have our longest training run planned.  Sunday morning, we will run 20-22 miles, depending on where we decide to do our training run.  

Question

Do you think we should squeeze in another long run on 11/7?  Maybe a 18-19 miler and then have a 2 week taper? OR keep with the 3 week taper?

11 comments:

Erica October 27, 2009 at 10:29 AM  

I think you're doing just fabulous! If it were me, I'd squeeze in one more long one and do the two week taper but listen to your body! Good luck!

Erica October 27, 2009 at 10:30 AM  

PS that is from my totally unqualified opinion

Tyler October 27, 2009 at 10:40 AM  

It's funny that you just posted that question, because i just saw a similar question answered on runnersworld.com:

http://www.runnersworld.com/video/1,8052,s6-5-0-1,00.html?bcpid=2884339001&bclid=27960358001&bctid=44834712001&cm_mmc=training-_-2009_10_27-_-training-_-VIDEO%3a%20Long%20Run%20Dilemma%20

sorry the link is like a mile long....anyway, the question on runner's world was what to do if you miss a long run while marathon training. they said to not worry about it as you don't want to cram your mileage in and hurt yourself. your situation is slightly different, but i would say do your taper as planned to rest up enough before the race. its always better to undertrain a little than to overtrain. good luck! i think you will do great!

Charm City Kim October 27, 2009 at 12:44 PM  

I think you're probably safe to start tapering. You've covered a lot of miles already.

But let's talk about the Galloway method. its 10 min run and 1 min walk for the entirety of the race? Do you find this helpful?

lauren October 27, 2009 at 12:58 PM  

erica\thanks and you are totally qualified!

tyler\thanks for the link - I am going to check that out.

charmcitykim\I am not sure of the official Galloway method, but, most people I know tend to modify it based on what fits their needs. I have run one race FULL Galloway (a half marathon) - and paced in the 10 min miles. I did run 1 mile, walk 1 min. I found it hard to stop and walk in the early miles, but it paid off in the end. Check out his website for more info. (http://www.jeffgalloway.com) Thinking about it for Philly?

I Run for Fun October 27, 2009 at 1:25 PM  

I would push myself for another long run, but I think it's important to listen to your body. Mileage-wise, you've done great so far.

Penelope October 27, 2009 at 1:41 PM  

Hi Lauren!

I love reading your blog because I was born and raised in bmore AND am running Philly! Anyway, I had a similar situation before running chicago a few weeks ago--I hadn't run anything more than 18...but the race still went really well. I think one mor long run of 18-20 miles should be totally sufficient!

Good luck with the training!

Matt October 27, 2009 at 2:33 PM  

You can probably get by with a two week taper if you are feeling good. I think it depends on if you are up for it!

Alison Can Read October 27, 2009 at 3:51 PM  

I'm not big on by-the-book training. I figure if your body wants a long run, you should go for it. Otherwise, don't worry.

Anonymous October 27, 2009 at 10:53 PM  

I think are doing amazing!

Anonymous October 27, 2009 at 10:53 PM  

I think are doing amazing!

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP