10.23.2009

Roasted Acorn Squash Stuffed w/ Tortellini

The other night was Tyler Florence night.  Kevin and I love watching his show on Food Network.  My company recently had a book fair and I picked up at copy of his book, Stirring the Pot.

I like the cookbooks with pictures, so I can see what the finished product is supposed to look like.

Considering the fact that I had an acorn squash ready to be used, this recipe caught my eye.

Kevin ran to the store to pick up a few ingredients we were lacking, while I began getting the squash ready for roasting. 

Kevin returned and we began boiling the tortellini.  Instead of only cheese, we threw in some sausage tortellini to mix it up.  We also wanted to add a little green to this dish, so frozen peas went in during the last 5 mins.

Next up, the tortellini and peas were mixed with the creamy cheese sauce.  Never said this was the healthiest dish, but hey - a little cheese and cream never hurt anybody, right?  Plus, we added peas to even it out.  ;)

The squash was roasted, the filling was ready, so, it was time to fill.  Topped with shredded Gruyere - one of my favorite cheeses. 

Ready to eat.

I have to say that as pretty as this looked, it was a tad TOO rich for me.  I loved the crusty cheese on top and scooping out the tender squash, but the tortellini in creamy cheese sauce was not my speed.  Next time, I would try and come up with a non-creamy sauce. 


I feel like I have a ton more to write about, so, my next posts will feature my weekend away in Brigantine, NJ, Pan-Seared Halibut in a Light Green Sauce, Banana Butterscotch Blondies (recipe courtesy of Sweet&Fit), along with an update on marathon training.  Philadelphia Marathon is in 1 month!


Hope you are enjoying your Friday and have a great weekend planned.

10 comments:

Erica October 23, 2009 at 3:08 PM  

I love Tyler's show as well. This sounds yummy, but I can see how it'd be a bit too rich! I like to stuff my acorn squash with steamed veggies mixed with marinara. I add a little ground turkey or beef to Josh's. SO yummy. Very exciting that the marathon is in 1 month!

Erin October 23, 2009 at 3:55 PM  

Hey, are you doing the full or half marathon?

I've got loads of people I know running 1 or the other. Trying to decide if I should go watch...

Mama Pea October 23, 2009 at 4:22 PM  

Holy heck, I can't wait for your next post...butterscotch banana blondies? Yes please!

RunningLaur October 23, 2009 at 4:51 PM  

Thanks for sharing the recipe idea - that's something I never would have thought of!

Oh, and I totally throw peas in cream sauce all the time, just to balance it out. :)

Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) October 23, 2009 at 5:20 PM  

I love Tyler Florence! I also love cookbooks with pictures of the food because I too need to know what it's supposed to look like! The meal looks great, too bad it was so rich! I'm sure it will turn out even better next time when you make a different sauce!

Matt October 23, 2009 at 6:15 PM  

Tyler Florence is awesome! That dish isn't really something I would make, but it looks good. The peas make it healthy right? ;)

Anonymous October 23, 2009 at 6:45 PM  

man oh man does that every look fabulous!!! I love creamy sauces so this is right up my ally!

Anonymous October 24, 2009 at 4:11 PM  

banana butterscotch blondies??? soooo funny, because literally 2 minutes ago Bryan (my boyfriend) just asked me to make him some

this recipe looks absolutely amazing - but I see how it calls for too many "rich" ingredients... I wonder how it would be filled with more veggies/less tortellini

Erin Helgerson October 25, 2009 at 12:34 AM  

Those look so good! I love cookbooks with photos, I really don't like ones that don't show me what I'm making!

MacDuff October 25, 2009 at 7:36 PM  

So we canceled our cable subscription because we didn't want to watch so much TV. And the ONLY thing I miss watching is Tyler Florence, I swear.

Anyway, I LOVE his recipes. You should try the tagliatelle bolognese - it's on my list of things to make in the near future, as soon as it gets cold enough to stand over a hot stove.

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP