4.06.2009

Is it Summer Yet?

Hello all!! This weekend was packed full of fun stuff that started with a quick one night trip to the beach. It reached the 70s on Friday, so I decided to pretend it was summer and break out flip flops.While Kevin took care of his business/work stuff (the reason for our trip), Oscar and I took a walk around the 1 mile loop in the development where my family's place is located.There were beautiful bayside views,
Blooming flowers,

And the sun created fun shadows of Oscar and I.
Afterwards, I met Kevin at Mother's Cantina in 28th Street Plaza and we started off with one of my favorites: Warm, fresh tortilla chips w/ fresh salsa and guacamole. Isn't it cool how they serve the guac in the avocado shell?
The guacamole had great flavor with a spicy kick. I ordered two tacos for dinner - 1 grilled fish and 1 chicken. Both were served in grilled flour tortillas with fresh ingredients. I added some leftover guac and then proceeded to devour them. Kevin ordered the taco platter. 2 beef hard shell tacos and 1 chicken soft taco w/ black beans and rice. He cleaned his plate as well. I tried a bite of his rice and beans and enjoyed them both. We were hungry and everything tasted delicious!
We hung out at Mother's for the rest of the night and had a great time.


Saturday morning, we woke up early - like 7am early. I just cant sleep in anymore now that I have been on this silly work schedule for many years. :( We took another walk around the 1 mile loop with Oscar. There were a "few" beers consumed on Friday night, so running was not going to happen.

Afterwards, we went to breakfast at General's Kitchen, which is known for it's creamed chip beef and normally has lines out the door during the summer months. I am not a fan of creamed chip beef and Kevin wasn't in the mood, so we stuck with lots of coffee, scrambled eggs, hash browns, and wheat toast. It was a great, filling breakfast.


I would have cleaned my plate had I known that would be the last time I ate until 3pm. I was late to my friend's makeup party due to DC traffic from the Cherry Blossom festival and didn't bring any snacks for the car. I drank water, chewed gum, and got irritable.


Attempting to avoid bumper-to-bumper traffic allowed me to have a close-up view of the capitol.

My attempt didn't work and it took me over an hour to go 6 miles. I was happy to find lots of delicious snacks at my friend's place when I showed up.

Fresh fruit



Taco dip served with tortilla chips
Red pepper dip served with assorted crackers
Cheese, pepperoni, and these bacon pinwheel thingees


The makeup party was a lot of fun, but I am sorry to say that I don't have pictures to share. A few hours later, with iced coffee in hand...
...we headed over to welcome a baby GIRL into the world. Congrats to my friends, Mike and Chrissi, who had a beautiful baby girl - Olivia Grace!!! :)

I got home pretty late Saturday night without having dinner, since I don't count hospital vending machine animal crackers as dinner. I made a quick TJ's Masala Veggie Burger with a piece of toasted TJs whole wheat naan bread.
Sunday morning, Kevin and I did a (much needed) hour long trail run in Loch Raven Reservoir before heading over to Trader Joes for grocery shopping. Later on, we continued to enjoy the good weather with our co-ed football game, which we won. I even scored a touchdown thrown to me by Kevin! :)
Hope everyone enjoyed their weekends and I hope to be catching up on your blogs soon!

Mothers Cantina on Urbanspoon

29 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl April 6, 2009 at 12:26 PM  

Gorgeous weather, food, and flowers!!

Anonymous April 6, 2009 at 12:33 PM  

congrats to your friends on their new baby girl! thats awesome that you got to enjoy the great weather this weekend - theres nothing like sushine to put you in a good mood =)

Anonymous April 6, 2009 at 12:33 PM  

Gorgeous photos!! I love all the Mexican food! I have pretending it's summer and wearing flip flops all weekend.

Anonymous April 6, 2009 at 12:35 PM  

Nice weather just makes everything better. I hate traffic. The red peper dip sounds good. Do you know how it was made?

Anonymous April 6, 2009 at 12:48 PM  

Sounds like you had a mostly (sans traffic) great weekend. Those guac filled avocado shells are too cute, I'll have to remember that.

Erica April 6, 2009 at 1:06 PM  

Wasn't the weather awesome? We totally went to the beach and I was in heaven!!!!!!!!!!!! Cute pics of Oscar. I can't sleep any more either- I was up at 6:30 on Saturday and 8 on Sunday (and I woke up like 6 times before 8 ;)). Great eats- I love the iced starbucks drinks in the summer/spring :)

Sarah (lovINmytummy) April 6, 2009 at 1:17 PM  

Olivia Grace?! Your friends are BRILLIANT!!! And you are really tall ;)

Anonymous April 6, 2009 at 1:26 PM  

you couldn't have picked a better weekend to go to OC. perfect weather! loveee that mothers puts their guac in the avocado shell! congrats to your friends, how amazing and i loveeee the name!

Julie April 6, 2009 at 1:36 PM  

sounds like an awesome weekend! yay for gorgeous weather :)

Balance, Joy and Delicias! April 6, 2009 at 1:51 PM  

such a great giveaway to beach. Where did u go? Ocean city? Weather was nice right?
I went to DC for the Cherry blossom yesterday and it was crazy!!! Traffic was terrible, tons of people, but the view was nice! ;)

Kara April 6, 2009 at 1:59 PM  

YAYY OC!! This post makes me so happy :)

I have lived in OC all my life and I have NEVER been to General's Kitchen. I don't know why, either. I think I need to visit that landmark soon!

Anonymous April 6, 2009 at 2:07 PM  

The flowers look beautiful and your fruit plate looks good too!!! I am a huge fan of Mexican food as well and I love love love taco dip (sans tomatoes though; I am allergic).

ps- I wear flip flops year round. :)

Betsy April 6, 2009 at 2:10 PM  

You are far too casual about those bacon pinwheel thingys... they look delish! But the tacos are really doin' it for me. Mmmm...

tfh April 6, 2009 at 2:33 PM  

Sounds like a great weekend...ugh, traffic on the weekend is the worse, though. It's one thing to waste time during a workday...

Now I definitely want to try presenting guacamole in an avocado shell-- but it's going to be hard not to destroy the shell in the process!

Lori April 6, 2009 at 2:40 PM  

What a fun weekend! I love the guac served in avocado. Very creative. I was admiring the red pepper dip and then saw the hot plate it was on. That is so cool. They are wine corks, aren't they?

Hope you have a great week!

CT April 6, 2009 at 2:53 PM  

Oh man those tacos look good. Now I'm really craving Mexican food! :)

Congrats to your friends on the baby girl. Olivia Grace is an adorable name.

Erin April 6, 2009 at 4:26 PM  

Yay Chrissi!! Lauren, plz tell her I said CONGRATS. What a beautiful name. :)

RunningLaur April 6, 2009 at 4:30 PM  

What a great weekend, sans traffic. All of the snack food at the party looks amazing too!

K from ksgoodeats April 6, 2009 at 5:56 PM  

Ahhh pretty scenery pictures!! Aren't flip flops just so refreshing?!

Olivia Grace - beautiful name! Congrats to your friend :)

Matt April 6, 2009 at 6:52 PM  

Sounds like a fun weekend!

The Purple Carrot April 6, 2009 at 7:03 PM  

I want summer!!

The beach sounds like a wonderful time .. and hooray for flip flops!

I Run for Fun April 6, 2009 at 7:42 PM  

I have to say, I look forward to reading your blog every Monday...you have such fun weekends! Yay for another fabulous one.
The pics are gorgeous, especially the ones with Oscar in them.

Mmm...tacos!

Julie April 6, 2009 at 9:27 PM  

hey girl! you won my giveaway! shoot me an email with your address so I can send out the goods :)

Bec April 7, 2009 at 12:03 AM  

Flip flops?!?! I am so jealous our gorgeous bike weather suddenly changed to 4 inches of snow and freezing again! Love the tacos, they look yummy :)

ChickPea April 7, 2009 at 12:52 AM  

Your toes are so perfectly pedicured for the beginning of flip flop season...mine could use some work!

lauren April 7, 2009 at 8:33 AM  

d10/I am going to post the recipe in my next post because it is simple and healthy!

erica/good weather makes everything better. :)

sarah/ha - they ARE brilliant.

balancejoydel/yes - we went to OC. it was great weather for the cherry blossom, but seriously - they need to do something about traffic down there!

kara/good! I was hoping you would like it.

onelittletrigirl/you are lucky to be able to do that!!!

betsy/oh yeah - those things are little bites of heaven.

Lori/yes! I meant to talk about that hot plate because I love the idea and plan on being a copycat.

erin/will do!

irunforfun/I am partial to the Oscar photos too. ;)

chickpea/good thing it wasnt a close up of my toes - because they are chipped need work too. :)

Anonymous April 7, 2009 at 8:45 AM  

Love the beach pictures. I'm so ready for summer

Katie April 7, 2009 at 11:07 AM  

Looks like a fabulous weekend! I love flip flops, too.

Unknown April 7, 2009 at 11:02 PM  

sounds like a fabulous weekend :)

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP