7.09.2009

Shrimp-Lentil Curry

I wasn't even back a full day from the beach before I was roaming the aisles of Trader Joes - I missed that place. I have finally found an almond butter that I like from there.I had gotten the RAW stuff before and just cant hack that stuff. This kind is great though. I mixed a little sea salt in while I was stirring it which made it taste even better. :)


TJs had these new "Reduced-Guilt"meals that I decided to try since I was having some feelings of guilt from all my great eats on vacation. I only highlighted a few in my last blog post, but there were some late night pizza and ice cream runs that didn't make the camera. I am still trying to figure the best way for me to eat healthier and exercise regularly on vacation.Here it is right before going into the oven. It didn't look that bad, but I was scared because it smelled weird.All done with a side of sauteed spinach and carrots that I had whipped up while I was waiting. Very saucy and not horribly bad. Just sort of bad - I give it a 6 out of 10 for TJ products. It tasted healthy and the flavor wasn't disgusting or anything, but I didn't have that good, satisfied feeling after eating it.
Moving on...anyone else have one of these things? They are perfect for brewing up some iced tea. This was a mixture of 3 tea bags: Ginger Peach, Green Tea, and Yerba Mate. Incredibly refreshing.


Moving on again...I am waaay behind on some restaurant reviews. Especially on one of my new favorite restaurants in Baltimore. A co-worker of Kevin's tipped us off on this place and we have been at least 4 times this year - Samos in Greektown. I have a ton of pictures, so a review is definitely coming. But, the other night, we didn't feel like waiting 20-40 mins for a table(which is TOTALLY worth it by the way), so we got carry out and it was just as good.Huge Greek Salad topped with Grilled Shrimp and their homemade dressing that is finger-licking good. The salad wouldn't be complete with out warm pita on the side.If you live in or near Baltimore - this is a MUST-TRY type of place. Reasonable prices too.


I know this post is already long, but I feel like I have so much to say tonight. So anyways...I made lentils for the first time tonight!


Basically, I had a bunch of ingredients that I wanted to go together and wasn't sure if they would work. I searched for a recipe, but after finding nothing, I decided to just wing it.


I didn't measure a thing, so I apologize for that, but here were the main players:

  • Shrimp (frozen, jumbo, cleaned)
  • lentils
  • Hunts diced tomatoes in sauce (must be hunts - it is the best)
  • zucchini
  • onion
  • garlic
  • Salt, Pepper
  • TJs Thai Red Curry Sauce (this stuff is spic-AY)
  • green onions
  • Fage Greek Yogurt
  • Canola Oil (just enough to saute the onions and zucchini)
Can I just say that lentils are scary to work with...like really scary to me for some reason. So I researched for awhile before getting started. I took the time to rinse them very well. Then, I measured out the water, brought it to a boil before adding my lentils. The water got really murky.It was taking forever for the lentils to soak up all the water - I must have measured incorrectly, so I decided to just drain them. I was hungry! It made a very messy sink and looked like mush.I was ready to throw them out until Kevin tried them with a spoonful of the sauce I had been cooking up. He said it tasted pretty good, so in they went.Topped with green onions and a spoonful of Fage 0% greek yogurt - it added just the right amount of cool creaminess to the spicy curry.
Overall, I think it turned out really tasty! Kevin loved it too, so I know it was a winner if he was enjoying lentils.


In other non-food news, my new job is going great so far and I really like everyone I am working with....but, I am exhausted...so off to bed for me. Good night!

17 comments:

ChickPea July 9, 2009 at 11:53 PM  

Yum, yum--is there anything better than warm, fresh-baked pita?!

LizNoVeggieGirl July 10, 2009 at 7:38 AM  

Loooove TJ"s almond butter.

So glad that your job is going well so far!!

Anonymous July 10, 2009 at 7:57 AM  

Glad everything is going well at the new job. Very cute tea maker thing.

Erica July 10, 2009 at 8:48 AM  

Glad the new job is going well! I am so jealous of your TJs!! TJs please open in Charleston....come on, you know you want to! The greek restaurant looks amazing- I <3 greek salads. And your shrimp curry? Awesome. I'm on such a huge shrimp kick right now!!

Fitnessista July 10, 2009 at 9:21 AM  

that looks SO good! i'm a major lover of all things curry :D
that tj's almond butter is amazing!
have a great day!

Anonymous July 10, 2009 at 10:59 AM  

So happy to hear your job is going well!!

Lentils are really quick cooking (20-30 minutes). It sounds like you cooked them a bit too long. I've had to drain mine before too.

Anonymous July 10, 2009 at 11:02 AM  

You had me at Shrimp-Lentil Curry! LOL! I'm actually planning on making a big pot O lentils this weekend!! And I have shrimp in my freezer. Hmmmm. Thanks for the idea ;-)

K from ksgoodeats July 10, 2009 at 11:36 AM  

I am drooling over that pita! I used to order JUST pita bread when I would go eat at coney islands around here - yum!

Erin July 10, 2009 at 2:08 PM  

So glad your new job is going well!

The lentils don't need to absorb all the water if you don't want them too. Just let em go for a rolling boil about 20mins, then drain. I like them a bit firmer, and they're perfect like that, when mixed in with curry sauces.

Yummy din!

Ash @ On The Rocks July 10, 2009 at 2:54 PM  

Though you didnt review that TJ's meal as being very good...Im still intrigued! Definitely want to go there now and try out their new products.

lauren July 10, 2009 at 3:19 PM  

Chickpea/ nope!

Nibblesandwiggles/ thanks for the lentils help! I need it.

Erin/good to know...I think I wld definitely like them firmer. I will have to try again.

Ash/Definitely try them! They had a bunch of other types bedsides the fish.

Julie D July 10, 2009 at 3:49 PM  

Agreed about the salt and almond butter. Otherwise it tastes kind of weird to me. I ate about half a jar (same kind & store) before giving it away. I'm definitely a natural PB person.

Matt July 10, 2009 at 5:53 PM  

I LOVE GREEK FOOD! Especially pita bread!

Anonymous July 10, 2009 at 9:05 PM  

So raw is a no-go? I love their regular almond butter and have always wanted to try the raw kind. But I've heard mixed reviews!

Alison Can Read July 11, 2009 at 7:28 PM  

I sampled a reduced guilt pasta dish at TJ's today. It was just okay. Needed salt.

Ann July 12, 2009 at 6:01 PM  

Lauren! There is no way to eat healthier/exercise on vacation!! It's vacation for a reason!!!

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) July 14, 2009 at 11:10 AM  

I've got TJs at home and at school...but sadly, not here on Hilton head Island! I just went to Atlanta last week and spent hours in TJs and WF! I couldn't believe how in-withdrawal I was, hehe. Your shrimpies look amaaazing!

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP