7.13.2009

DNS #2

Here comes my little confession - I had my second DNS this weekend. (DNS stands for "Did Not Start".) This weekend was the EX2 Off-Road Duathlon out in Rocky Gap and I didn't even attempt to make it to the race. I canceled my hotel while on vacation at the beach a week or so back knowing I wasn't going to do it.


Why didn't I make it? Well, I have a list of excuses a mile long, but when it comes down to it - I just wasn't motivated to train properly. It didn't help that I had 3 weddings 3 weekends in June and then a 10 day vacation to the beach. But, if I had really wanted to train - I could have made time, especially since I wasn't working during the month of June. Looking back, I am wondering what I did with all my time.


I have always had structure in the form of school, sports, work, etc. So, when I didn't have anything to do - I just couldn't get much accomplished. Interesting, I guess.


Oh and I had my first DNS last year for the exact same venue, except I was signed up for the Off-Road Triathlon. Hmmm. I guess this race and I are not meant to be.


Anyone else have a DNS (or two) under their belt?


Instead of competing in the duathlon, Kevin and I took Oscar for a walk/hike/swim in Patapsco State Park.Oscar followed Kevin around as they explored the river.
Once Kevin got too far out, Oscar would swim back to me.
The water was cool and refreshing.
Kevin found a live snail that was pretty cool to see. I took some pictures of the scenery.This was a neat pathway leading to another trail.
Overall, it was a great way to spend a Sunday...since I couldn't make the duathlon. ;)


Tonight (Monday) after work, Kevin and I started out on a 40 min run. It was hot and humid and the sun was beating down on us. We both felt like it wasn't in the cards for the night. Instead of giving up completely - we ran a little under a mile down to the soccer field near our house - all down hill.


I led us through the following workout, trying to stay in the shade:

  • 5 sets of 20 yard sprints, jogging back to start, so there was no rest.
  • 10 squat jumps to touch the top of the goal
  • 10 burpees
  • 15 push-ups
  • 15 sit-ups
  • lap around the soccer field, sprint the end lines, jog the sidelines
  • 20 walking lunges
  • 10 squat jumps to touch the top of the goal
  • lap around the soccer field, sprint the end lines, jog the sidelines
  • 10 burpees
  • 15 push-ups
  • 15 sit-ups
Then, we ran up the hill, back home. It was a tough workout that was SO much more fun than just running.


Dinner was sauteed shrimp w/ onions and Adobo seasoning (the BEST), corn on the cob w/ butter salt & pepper, and roasted brussels. It hit the spot.
Good night everyone!

18 comments:

RunningLaur July 14, 2009 at 12:21 AM  

#1, I think it's awesome that you actually prepare and eat brussel sprouts voluntarily. Just for the stigma of 'brussel sprouts.'

#2, I've had 2 DNS's, but not for races, for volunteering for races. For one I ended up on crutches the week before and couldn't drive to the venue, and the second one I had friends flying into town at just the same time as the race. I think I'm just not meant to volunteer, as much as I try.

Erica July 14, 2009 at 6:38 AM  

Hi cutie Oscar! Great pictures. I find that when I have A LOT to do....I can accomplish pretty much everything on my list. When I have more free time, I find it almost impossible to do anything.

The Purple Carrot July 14, 2009 at 7:14 AM  

I agree with Erica on the whole having nothing to do, doing nothing; having a lot to do, doing a lot thing ... funny how it works that way!

That sounds like a great outdoor workout and a nice way to mix things up a little : )

(Oh, and that ear of corn looks perfect ... just the way I like them)

Anonymous July 14, 2009 at 8:13 AM  

Smart move to cancel since you didn't feel like you were prepared. There is no reason to suffer!

Great pictures and nice workout too.

Katie July 14, 2009 at 8:47 AM  

It was probably better not to race than to do it and risk injuring yourself.

Great pics of Oscar! He's a cutie.

MacDuff July 14, 2009 at 9:59 AM  

Sometimes it's worth it to take a DNS just to remind yourself how much preparation goes into training. It's also good to know that you aren't made or broken by your racing schedule. And I for one can completely testify that Baltimore summers are absolutely horrible for running. So I'm glad you and Oscar got some fun time in Patapsco. That's a great, great park.

Anonymous July 14, 2009 at 10:26 AM  

Looks like you had so much more fun on Sunday than a race would have been! ;)

Ughhh - HATE burpees.

Anonymous July 14, 2009 at 10:30 AM  

I think I will have a DNS in Aug- it is a free race I got for volunteering past races but I don't think it fits my schedule.

I almost had my first DNS this past weekend- I am so glad I didn't but I also think that if it is meant to be it will and sometimes it just isn't.

K from ksgoodeats July 14, 2009 at 12:00 PM  

That's the same boat I'm in right now - I don't have a lot I need to get done so I'm not motivated to get it done. I think it's a good thing you didn't do the race. If you're heart wasn't it in, halfway through the race you probably wouldn't have been very happy.

Julie July 14, 2009 at 12:49 PM  

don't stress about the race! you'll get the next one! you have to be prepared or else you'll get hurt so it was a great decision not to do it!

loveee the workout you had with the boyfriend :)

Alison Can Read July 14, 2009 at 3:20 PM  

Sorry about the DNS. I don't get DNS's b/c I don't sign up for races. I wish I did more of them though.

Looks like you had a great time with the boy and doggy though.

Matt July 14, 2009 at 5:49 PM  

I actually had a DNS for my first marathon in April. It wasn't my fault though; I did the training and everything. We had a family emergency come up and I just couldn't go.

I Run for Fun July 14, 2009 at 10:45 PM  

Such beautiful scenery! You made your weekend worth DNS'ing for!

Ada July 16, 2009 at 7:41 AM  

That river looks so pretty and refreshing!

Lori July 16, 2009 at 7:57 PM  

I think a walk like that with Oscar was a good substitute. As active as you are and as many events as you do you are bound to have some DNSs. I have one under my belt for a 5K. I actually even went and got our shirts, but didn't run.

I hear you on structuring your time. I love working from home, but when we moved abroad and I first made the transition I didn't really have a job. It is amazing how I filled my days with nothingness. A nice break, but not something I want to do longterm. :)

Robin July 17, 2009 at 1:32 PM  

This is kind of totally off topic but I noticed you have a cat AND a dog - do they get along? I'm babysitting my sister's puppy and they're thinking about getting him a cat as a friend. Just wondering if this is a good idea or not.

lauren July 17, 2009 at 2:13 PM  

fitnut/hey there! I personally think it is a great idea. My dog is kind of a big wimp, so it worked out perfectly that he was older when we got a kitten. I think if they are both young - it would be even better because they grow up together and get used to each other very early. My dog and cat play together all the time - it is hilarious and better than any tv show. Good luck!

Anonymous July 18, 2009 at 4:41 PM  

I've had DNS's, like in terms of skipping out on the gym and or dance classes :D Sometimes ya just don't wanna go right!? haha sounds like a fun walk/hike though, i like stuff like that way more!

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP