5.26.2009

Memorial Day Weekend/Early Birthday Weekend

This past weekend, I was whisked away by my boyfriend for a 2 night getaway at Rocky Gap Lodge/Resort in Rocky Gap State Park. Yes, that is the same place where we completed the Greenhorn Adventure Race a few weeks back!


My birthday is in a few weeks, but the weekend of my birthday AND the weekend before and after are filled with 2 weddings and a bachelor party - so this was our weekend to celebrate. Will probably still do a dinner out on my actual birthday though. :)


The lodge is settled on a large lake right below a mountain and has a TON of outdoor activities. Our days went a little something like this...Outdoor Activity...Eat...Sleep...Outdoor Activity...Eat...Sleep. You get the point. It was so incredibly relaxing and the perfect getaway.


We canoed, hiked, ran the lakeside trail loop, played tennis, laid out by the lake, and threw the frisbee. The one disappointment was the food at the resort - very pricey and not impressive at all.


We did find a great restaurant in the area - Puccini - that boasted Wood Fired Pizza! We were starving, so immediately ordered a house salad with the homemade italian dressing to split. Everything tasted fresh and delicious. I remembered to take the photo when we were almost finished.I couldn't resist ordering the zucchini fries because the menu said they were a house specialty! Plus, I LOVE Zucchini and LOVE fries. :)The plate had more zucchini fries than I could imagine for $4. They were crispy and the best fries I have every tasted. No lie. Better than any potato variety I have ever had.


I really wasn't very hungry when our personal pizza's came out. I had ordered the Quattro Formaggio. a.k.a. Four Cheese. Not my favorite pizza ever, but good quality. Maybe a little too much sauce for my liking, but the crust was crisp, light and airy. I guess I couldn't fully enjoy it since I was so full of salad and zucchini fries.


I hope everyone enjoyed their holiday weekend and I want to say a HUGE THANK YOU to all the men and women in the military. (Especially my friend Camey who served a year in Afghanistan and is now stationed in Missouri.)

17 comments:

Erica May 26, 2009 at 10:21 AM  

What a sweet weekend! Little getaways are just the best. Happy early birthday! Yummy on the zuch fries

HangryPants May 26, 2009 at 10:35 AM  

Yes, thank you to all those serving for the US!

Julie May 26, 2009 at 10:42 AM  

glad you had a great birthday celebration! milk your bday for all its worth haha it can be a 2 week celebration! do it up girl :)

RunningLaur May 26, 2009 at 11:42 AM  

what a cute trip!
The zucchini fries look amazing - I want to eat some right now!

Rose May 26, 2009 at 11:46 AM  

I am now googling this place to see whether Bill and I should go :) Sounds fun!!

Happy Bday!

Amanda May 26, 2009 at 11:50 AM  

mmm zucchini fries! your weekend sounds amazing and it sounds like you have more fun ones coming up!

Anonymous May 26, 2009 at 1:58 PM  

Happy Birthday early. Looks like a great time.

K from ksgoodeats May 26, 2009 at 2:20 PM  

Glad you had a fantastic birthday celebration!! Those zucchini fries look awesome!!

Melissa (Nibbles and Wiggles) May 26, 2009 at 2:22 PM  

Awww what a sweetie! Glad you had a good birthday celebration!

Kara May 26, 2009 at 2:32 PM  

That pizza looks frickin amazing!

And I do work in OC! I'm a waitress at Dumser's Drive-In.

Matt May 26, 2009 at 5:59 PM  

Happy early Bday!

Anonymous May 26, 2009 at 7:22 PM  

Sounds like a great weekend!

Balance, Joy and Delicias! May 26, 2009 at 8:10 PM  

that pizza looks sooooooo delicious!!! all that melting cheese!! YuM YUM~~

Anonymous May 26, 2009 at 8:31 PM  

Nice weekend. You have a few busy weekend ahead of you. Glad you were able to have some time alone.

Unknown May 26, 2009 at 9:56 PM  

sounds like a fabulous weekend getaway! wowsa to those zucchini fries :)

Alison Can Read May 26, 2009 at 10:34 PM  

I've never seen zucchini fries. That sounds great!
Too bad the pizza wasn't perfect. It looks really good.

ChickPea May 27, 2009 at 12:18 AM  

I would have loved that pizza--I am all about sauce and airy crust!

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP