5.21.2009

Chili and Smoothie

The weather has been perfect lately - 70s, sunny, breezy, low humidity. Yesterday evening, Kevin and I headed over to the park to play some tennis. We only played one set, but I beat him 6-2. His bruised ego caused him to be a little grouchy on the walk home. ha!


I put together a quick and easy crock pot meal while I was home during the day - Chili! I know it is almost summer and chili is soo last season, but I just threw together what I had on hand.


Last Minute Chili
(Please note that all measurements are estimated)


  • 1/2 pound lean ground beef, brown and drain
  • 1 can whole kernel corn, drained
  • 1 can garbanzo beans, drained
  • 1 large can chunky tomatoes w/ juice
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1/2 red pepper, chopped
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 package fajita seasoning
  • 1 bay leaf
  • Hot Sauce to taste
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
Mix together in crock pot and then simmer on HIGH for 4 hours (or LOW for 8 hours). We served it with shredded cheddar cheese and a dollop of 0% Fage.I also had a package of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix that I used to make a bunch of mini corn muffins. So cute and crumbly. We ended up adding them into the chili and it was awesome.
This morning, I took a short walk/run with Oscar in the park. I noticed a girl riding the inner park loop on her road bike and I decided to be a copycat. I walked my bike 2 blocks to the park...and hopped on to ride the inner loop a few times. It was a great ride and when I came home, I decided to make the "green smoothie" that I have been seeing everywhere!


Green Smoothie Ingredients
  • 1/2 banana
  • large handful of baby spinach
  • half fresh mango
  • 3/4 c vanilla soy milk
  • handful of ice
The color was so bright and I LOVED the taste. The vanilla soy milk and banana really gave it a wonderful sweetness. Plus, the fact that I was getting in a bunch of spinach made me feel healthy. :)


Tonight, I am going to meet my mom and sister at Iron Bridge Wine Company in Clarksville, MD and cant wait because I have been wanting to try this place forEVER.


Hope everyone has a great day.

13 comments:

Balance, Joy and Delicias! May 21, 2009 at 12:08 PM  

Chili with cornbread!! perfect meal~~~
weather is so nice outside! have a great day! :)

Erica May 21, 2009 at 12:22 PM  

Looks great! I love chili year round. In fact, I believe chicken and corn chili should be a summer meal! Glad you got a nice workout in!! Have fun tonight. Let us know how it is.

K from ksgoodeats May 21, 2009 at 12:28 PM  

Yummy cornbread! Way to go with the tennis game!! Enjoy the wine festivities tonight :)

tfh May 21, 2009 at 1:28 PM  

I want a corn muffin! Have fun tonight.

Anonymous May 21, 2009 at 2:32 PM  

OMGGGGGG i've been DYING to try iron bridge! its so close to my parents house! you have GOT to let me know how it goes, i can't wait to see what you getttt :)

Erica May 21, 2009 at 4:20 PM  

Heyyyy!

I used this recipe (with less oil):
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/oven-fries-recipe/index.html

I also sprayed my pan with pam before dumping the fries on there

Matt May 21, 2009 at 6:22 PM  

I used to play tennis all the time! I played all through high school and was top 30 in Texas! Too bad I suck now!

Julie May 21, 2009 at 6:35 PM  

OMG!!! I CANT believe you found a 4 leaf clover! Seriously that's just crazed! You got the luck on your side forever now :)

I'm SO happy you like green smoothies! Your man better watch out cause this green guy might one day take the place of him!

Alison Can Read May 21, 2009 at 6:45 PM  

Congrats on the tennis!
Jiffy has always been my favorite cornbread.

SeeGirlRun May 22, 2009 at 1:05 PM  

I noticed out of all the comments, no one mentioned you putting baby spinach in your smoothie. EEewwww!!! Ok, I'm a spinach junkie but in something sweet? Alright. I may just give it a try...

Laura

I Run for Fun May 22, 2009 at 3:12 PM  

Chili looks great...and chili with cornbread is even better!

Christina- MINDFUL LIVING May 22, 2009 at 3:54 PM  

hey! I see you live in the baltimore area! I go to college there... I was checking out your restaurant reviews...looks cool! Ill have to give them a try next year- ever been to One World Cafe in baltimore right by Johns Hopkins University?? If not...i think you would love it!

Kara May 25, 2009 at 9:00 PM  

Mmm that smoothie is inspirational!

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP