9.24.2009

Novel Post

Food


Despite my lack of blogging about cooking lately, I actually HAVE still been doing things in the kitchen.Last week, I made my "GO-TO" pasta salad for a work function. Adapted from Cooking Light's Lemony Orzo Salad - I changed the recipe based on what I had on hand.The end result was a Lemony Roasted Veggie/Pine Nut/Feta/Bowtie Pasta Salad. Deeelish!Monday night, I whipped up sauteed shrimp over pine nut couscous with a side of fresh C.S.A. green beans. For the shrimp, I sauteed onions, garlic, red pepper, and a mix of spices in EVOO before adding a splash of chicken stock and the shrimp. For the fresh beans, I let them swim around in boiling water for about 5-6 mins before mixing them with butter, garlic powder, salt & pepper.
Last night I came home from the gym, after completing 4 miles on the dreadmill, to find Kevin had created a fabulous concoction. Not to mention his "top chef like" plating skills.He combined garlic, onion, spinach, and mushrooms with EVOO, spices, chicken stock and marsala cooking wine. This mix was served over pasta with C.S.A. cherry tomatoes. The result was outstanding. I licked my plate - it was that good.
Prize Winnings



About a month ago, I won a contest over at HangryPants where I got to choose a loaf of Dave's Killer Bread to sample.
I chose the "Sin Dawg", which is an Organic, 100% Whole Wheat Cinnamon roll. It arrived last night and I made sure to sample it immediately.
My pictures don't do this stuff justice. It is the. most. incredible. bread/dessert. I. have. ever. tasted.

I loved how the outside was coated with sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, etc. But the inside - now that is where the gooey, cinnamony, delicious stuff was hiding.

(*Buyer Beware*: this stuff is addicting*) Kevin and I are both newbie DKB Sin Dawg addicts, but he is already asking me to make sure I order some more...quickly.

Running


Last Saturday, I completed a 17 mile training run on the Bagel 2 Beer marathon course. The weather was cool and I was happy to feel strong throughout the duration of the run. My legs and back were extremely sore for the few days after, so I made sure to take long walks and do lots of stretching.

So far, my long runs have looked like this:

Upcoming Long Runs

  • 9/26 - 15 miles
  • 10/3 - 18 miles or weekend off from long runs (have a weekend away planned)
  • 10/10 -13.1 miles (Baltimore Half Marathon)
  • 10/17 - 20 miles
  • 10/24 - 15 miles
  • 10/31 - 22 miles
  • 11/7 - 12 miles
  • 11/14 - off weekend from long distance
  • 11/22 - Philadelphia Marathon!!

Proud Parent

With this post reaching the novel length, I leave you with a photo that Kevin snapped of Oscar and I chilling on the floor after one of our weekly runs. I am proud to report that during my recent trip to the vet, I received some pet owner kudos.

My sweet dog/lover-of-all-treats is DOWN 5 pounds, which puts him back in the healthy range. :)

11 comments:

Deirdre September 24, 2009 at 2:35 PM  

I love it when you put up pictures of Oscar! I HAVE to try Sin Dawgs. I was totally bummed I didn't win.

Erica September 24, 2009 at 2:39 PM  

Both the pasta salad and the shrimp dish look fantastic! I'm so jealous of your Dave's Killer Bread win! I want to try that stuff so bad. Great job on the training. Give Oscar a hug from me!

janetha September 24, 2009 at 3:29 PM  

wow what a great post! i love the orzo salad, orzo does not get enough attention. also the plating skillz your man has rule! hooray for a trim poochie!

Katy September 24, 2009 at 4:08 PM  

Isn't that bread a-freaking-mazing? It makes me want to move to Oregon just for the bread. Is that wrong? It's the carb monster talking.

Matt September 24, 2009 at 6:15 PM  

Haha those are some top chef plating skills!

Jocelyn September 24, 2009 at 8:23 PM  

mmm all of that food looks absolutely delicious! Good job!
Also great work on the running and gettin the doggy down to a healthy weight :) So cute

Georgie Fear, RD, CPT September 24, 2009 at 9:31 PM  

You guys have some serious culinary skill! Haha want to collaborate on my next cookbook? :)

I'm working too on trimming down my bulldog - and I'm a dietitian, so it's somewhat ironic to not be able to get him to a healthy weight! My professionalism is on the line!

Did you change his food, or just cut back the amount?

best,
Georgie
www.askgeorgie.com

lauren September 24, 2009 at 10:51 PM  

Georgie\wld love too! :) For Oscar - I changed his food to a weight mgmt type (same brand) and also cut it back by 1 cup per day. Instead of 2.5 cups in the AM and PM - he gets 2 cups in the AM and PM.

BroccoliHut September 24, 2009 at 11:16 PM  

So much delicious pasta! Good luck on those upcoming long runs!

Meghann September 25, 2009 at 8:36 AM  

I won a lovely Sin Dawg as well and am a total addict! I'm contemplating spending the $21 to order mor eonline! It's just sooooo GOOD!

Alison Can Read September 25, 2009 at 1:40 PM  

Wow! 17 miles. Way to go!
It's great to have a go-to pasta recipe - they're so variable.

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP