This recipe comes from Kevin's grandfather - otherwise known as "PePaw" - pronounced pee-paw. It may seem familiar because I had tried to re-create this awhile back based on what I thought was in there without having the recipe, but this, is the real deal. There was some question over whether I could post this on the blog for all to see, but I think it is best to share a great recipe!
- soup meat w/ extra bone (beef shank cross cut)
- 2lb can tomato sauce + 3 cans of H20
- 15 oz can tomato sauce + 1 can of H20
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 4 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 5-6 carrots, diced
- 2 cans of cut green beans, drained
- 1 package frozen corn
- 1 package frozen lima beans
- 1 package frozen peas
- 1/2 head of cabbage, sliced
- 1-2 turnips, diced
- Add tomato sauce, H20, meat w/ bone, salt, pepper, bouillon cubes, onions, carrots & celery to a large pot.
- Bring to a boil, then cover & reduce heat to simmer for 1.5 hours
- Add cabbage & turnip, simmer for another 30 mins
- Add all frozen vegetables & green beans, simmer for another 30 mins.
I will warn you that this stuff is very addicting. It gives you that good soup burn/tingle on the back of your throat as it goes down. Makes it hard to put down the spoon.