8.20.2009

Get Some Mojo

Eats


Last night, we made some pretty tasty fajitas/tacos and I wanted to share our process. First, the chicken marinated in Goya Mojo Criollo Marinade overnight. I really don't want to eat chicken another way - it was juicy and had the best flavor. Every chicken needs some mojo.
Next up, we sauteed a colorful mix of onions and peppers (some spicy) in a little EVOO.

Meanwhile, refried pinto beans went into a pot to warm up.

Normally, I would use corn or flour soft tortillas for fajitas, but we were fresh out, so I was happy to discover these hiding in the pantry.
After the onions and pepper cooked for awhile, we removed them from the pan so we could add the chicken w/ marinade to cook through. Then, we mixed the onions and peppers back into the chicken with some chopped tomatoes.

All together...topped with shredded cheese.

I was worried that the whole grain hard taco shells would taste too "whole grainy" - if you know what I mean - but they were incredible. Ortega Whole Grain beats Old El Paso any day. I ended up dipping my tacos into the beans before each bite. It was one of the most satisfying meals and SO simple.


The other day at work - I finally tried the German Chocolate Cake Larabar. I brought some greek yogurt to go with, but ended up eating it alone since I was crunched for time at work.
It was a pleasant surprise because I haven't enjoyed the other Jocalat larabars, but this one was great! Next time, I would top it with the almond butter for a major treat.


Last, but certainly not least - I had a wonderful salad for lunch today. Since I tend to be picky with salads, I was happy to find one I enjoyed so much. It was from Frisco Grille in Columbia, MD. Spinach, pinto beans, gorgonzola cheese, marinated/sauteed tofu, and cranberries. It came with a raspberry vinaigrette that I didn't use at all. The tofu was seasoned to perfection and all the flavors mixed together nicely.

Workouts/Running

I am currently training for the Baltimore Half Marathon on October 10th and finally feel like I am getting somewhere. Basically, over the past month or so, I have stopped all of my slacking and inconsistency and feel like I have gotten my mojo back. ;)

This week has gone well so far:
  • Saturday: 17 mile bike ride
  • Sunday: 6 mile run
  • Monday: day off
  • Tuesday: 6 mile run
  • Wednesday: Jillian Michaels - Quick No Trouble Zones
  • Thursday: 5 mile run
  • Friday: day off (consider it done)
  • Saturday: 10 mile run (planned) - I know it seems a little sudden for this long of a run since I haven't been posting my runs here regularly, but I did 8.6 miles the first two Saturdays in August.

Random

Anyone else watch Top Chef last night? Jen is a tough cookie and right now - I hope she goes all the way.

10 comments:

Lizzy August 21, 2009 at 12:30 AM  

holy moley, those eats look amazing! i love fajitas!

The Purple Carrot August 21, 2009 at 6:05 AM  

Mmm, love the looks of those colorful peppers and onions : )

Erica August 21, 2009 at 6:44 AM  

Poooooooooooooooooo I forgot top chef started. Grumble! I will have to see when it is on again- thank you for the reminder! The fajitas look great- nothing like cooked peppers and onions!! I also love TJs refried beans. You are doing an INCREDIBLE job on the workouts!

Deirdre August 21, 2009 at 7:12 AM  

Your meal looked amazing. Yes, I watched Top Chef! Its one of my favorites. Jen def looked good, but I like the twin brothers too. Hopefully this season will be about the food and not about the cast romance. I was not a fan of the Hosea whats her face plot line from last season.

Anonymous August 21, 2009 at 7:53 AM  

Great meals. You are doing really well with all the running and biking too. You are going to be so ready for the hald in October.

Karena August 21, 2009 at 10:18 AM  

nice! I've seen that bottle in the store before but have always been hesitant to try it. I might just pick up a bottle now :)

Alison Can Read August 21, 2009 at 2:43 PM  

delicious fajitas! I never liked hard taco shells b/c they were too messy when I was a kid. I was a fussy child.

jodie August 21, 2009 at 5:51 PM  

Looks delish.

Lori August 21, 2009 at 8:16 PM  

Oh man, do those fajitas sound good! I miss refried beans so much. So glad to hear the training is going well!

Dee August 22, 2009 at 4:31 PM  

those tacos looks so yummy!

i love making mexican food light fresh and healthy!

it can taste just as good using healthier ingredients! yum, one of my favs!

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP