12.22.2009

Christmas Cookies & Mexican Tortilla Chicken Soup

A few weekends ago, I went over to my parent's house for our annual "Christmas Cookie Making Day".  I hadn't eaten lunch and was sort of banking on my parent's having something I could eat.  Or I would have had to eat cookies for lunch.


Luckily, my mom had made Mexican Tortilla Soup with fresh lime, avocado, cheese and corn tortilla strips. (recipe below)


It was SO good.  I ate two very full bowls.


After lunch, there was a few hours of serious cookie making going on.  




Which resulted in lots of tins being filled with cookies.

Oscar was kind enough to keep the floor clean.

After we were "cookied out", we took a drive to look at lights.

Seasons Greetings!


Recipe:




Mexican Tortilla Chicken Soup



Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 medium white onions, diced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 jalapenos, seeded and minced
  • 3 ripe medium tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 quart chicken stock,
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • Canola oil, for pan-frying
  • 8 corn tortillas, cut into 1/8-inch-thick strips
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken (I just boiled some chicken breasts)
  • 2 avocados, halved, pitted, peeled, and diced
  • 1 cup shredded Jack cheese, optional
  • 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
  • 1 lime, cut in wedges, for serving
Directions


Place a stockpot over medium heat and coat with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the onions, garlic, jalapenos, and tomatoes; cook, stirring for 15 minutes until the vegetables are cooked down and pulpy. Pour in the stock, season with salt and pepper, and simmer for 20 minutes.


Meanwhile, heat 1-inch of canola oil in skillet over medium-high heat.  When the oil begins to smoke, add the tortilla strips in batches and fry until they are crisp on all sides.  Remove to a paper towel-lined platter and sprinkle with salt while they are still hot.


Ladle the hot soup in bowls and put a pile of shredded chicken on top of each.  Top with the sliced avocado, cheese and fried tortilla strips.  Garnish with cilantro and serve with lime wedges.

11 comments:

Erica December 22, 2009 at 11:24 AM  

The soup looks fantastic! And I love that you make cookies as a family- what a great tradition. Hi Oscar!!! Have a VERY Merry Christmas

Anonymous December 22, 2009 at 11:57 AM  

You must live in the South. Where else do people's electricity bills double every year with their attempts to make sure Santa can spot them from the sky?

Erin December 22, 2009 at 12:06 PM  

I love cut-out cookies. Love.
Happy Holidays!

Anonymous December 22, 2009 at 12:10 PM  

Haha, thanks for commenting back on my blog... I really though the decoration overkill was just another one of those Southern eccentries. Who knew!

Rose December 22, 2009 at 12:37 PM  

Aw, I love cookie making. Happy Holidays, Lauren!

Anonymous December 22, 2009 at 3:00 PM  

Mmm, your moms soup sounds wonderful! My mom makes a great "white chicken chili" which is quite similar :)

Yay for holiday cooking making/decorating! Such fun.

katie December 22, 2009 at 3:37 PM  

Oh my that soup looks really good!

Happy Tuesday,

Katie

http://katiechangesforkatie.blogspot.com/2009/12/win-some-booty-slim-secrets-winners.html

Unknown December 22, 2009 at 4:23 PM  

first things first-- CONGRATS!!!! so exciting :) love the family cookie making, and that even oscar gets to help ;) great soup too, i could use it to warm me up!

Anonymous December 23, 2009 at 10:13 PM  

I love family cookie making! They look yummy!

Stephanie December 27, 2009 at 7:48 PM  

Love the soup recipe and the photos of the cookies. It's sad such a cookie baking frenzy occurs only once per year. I'm going to create my own cookie-oriented holiday in the spring!
BODA weight loss

chrystad72 December 28, 2009 at 8:55 PM  

Oh my! i love tortilla soup!! Thanks for sharing that recipe. It looks fantastic. Cookies look great too! Have a great evening!

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP