4.05.2010

First Tasting for the Wedding

So, about a month ago, Kevin and I picked the venue for our wedding.  It was between a rustic, waterfront inn OR a stone, country inn.  

I love stone.
I love water too.
Did I mention that Oscar can be a part of the wedding here?
We went with the Stone Manor Inn and cant wait until next June 2011!

Time to test out some caterers.  The best part, right?  A few weeks ago, I won tickets to a Bridal Show from the Baltimore magazine via twitter.  I ended up meeting Paul, the chef/owner of Dionysus Kitchen, and was impressed.  I loved his passion and approach to food.  I contacted him online when I got home and was talking with him on the phone the next day.  

We decided to set up a tasting and were invited to the his family's home for a 5-course meal.  The goal of this tasting was "not to sell you on a particular menu, but to illustrate our ethic of cooking from scratch using as many locally sourced ingredients as possible."  

We were eating with two other couples and had a great time talking with everyone.  We had numerous things in common and realized how small the world really is.

I will attempt to describe each course with as much detail as we were given, but I would never be able to do it justice.
First course: roasted beets, blue cheese, walnuts, vanilla vinaigrette, fresh chives.
Second course: trumpet shaped pasta (forget the name!), fresh chickpeas, asparagus, parsley, parmigiano-reggiano, truffle oil.
Third course: tilapia croquette, fresh tarragon, savory strawberry sauce, spinach puree.
Fourth course: Pear soaked in wine(?), three types of cheese.
Fifth course: Banana Bread Pudding.

I enjoyed every bite.  A few highlights:
  • I tried fresh chickpeas for the first time.  Never knew they were green!
  • Wine served with each course, one being a homemade red wine.
  • Paul keeps a bag full of all kinds of cheeses in his freezer for making pizzas over the fire. (I want to move in!)
  • I pet a chicken in the coup behind their house. 
The menu flexibility appeals to us in a big way because we could incorporate our favorites!  Also, knowing all the effort this caterer puts into reducing waste and using local & organic ingredients is a big positive.

Looking forward to the next tasting and getting all of these big decisions out of the way!

12 comments:

Unknown April 5, 2010 at 11:50 AM  

Perfect location!!!!! It'll be so beautiful. Can't wait to hear about the details as you continue planning. What's the exact date?

Erica April 5, 2010 at 11:51 AM  

Looks FABULOUS. Especially the beet salad and bread pudding!! Frank was in our wedding- so fun! They're like our children, aren't they???

Anonymous April 5, 2010 at 11:55 AM  

Everything looks absolutely amazing!!! Exciting times.

I Run for Fun April 5, 2010 at 11:57 AM  

Awesome location! And have Oscar be part of the wedding is so cool.

All the dishes look so good.

Rose April 5, 2010 at 12:42 PM  

That looks like a beautiful place, Lauren! Glad things are coming along nicely.

Kate April 5, 2010 at 1:16 PM  

New to your blog and just have to say that the tastings were one of our favorite parts of wedding planning.

And holy moly - reading the descriptions just made me realize I need to eat lunch but it just doesn't compare to those courses!

Anonymous April 5, 2010 at 2:01 PM  

Everything looks amazing! :)

Anonymous April 5, 2010 at 3:54 PM  

oh i love this place! can't wait to hear more - Lilly and Charlie are definitely going to be in my wedding too =)

SeeGirlRun April 8, 2010 at 9:36 AM  

Congratulations. It looks beautiful!

Laura

p.s. I made a 20-mile pilgrimage to Trader Joe's because of you. Bought $2 Chuck. Yummy store!

whatkateate April 8, 2010 at 6:59 PM  

Congrats on deciding where the wedding will be - it looks gorgeous! The food looks amazing too!

Lori April 8, 2010 at 7:04 PM  

Oh wow, that location is amazing. You are going to have the most beautiful wedding photos! And Oscar included? That had to seal the deal. Have fun trying out all that food!

And to answer your question we live near Lexington, KY about an hour from Cincy. If you have free time during your visit let me know. It's a quick drive to the area for me. But I know how family visits can be, pretty time consuming. :)

erica April 13, 2010 at 10:34 AM  

Wow your venue looks gorgeous and fabulous! The food looks divine! I loved picked out food for my wedding and having the tasting and picking out a venue. So much fun! My wedding is in August at a house from the 1800's so I am very excited!

xo

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP