11.18.2009

Taper Week


Marathon training has come to an end and it is now taper week. I always feel strange the week before a marathon - like I should be doing more. My nerves always affect my stomach and it currently feels like butterflies are fluttering around my insides.   So far, my week is looking like this:

  • Saturday – 1 hour (Very Hilly) run
  • Sunday – Off Day
  • Monday – 4 mile run
  • Tuesday – walk/run with Oscar. Maybe a ½ mile’s worth. 3 push-ups. Yes, I said 3. I intended to do more and just didn’t have it in me. Plus, it is taper week. :)
  • Plan/Wednesday – 2-3 mile EASY jog.
  • Plan/Thurday – Long Walk w/ Oscar
  • Plan/Friday – OFF (Bruce Springsteen concert in Baltimore!)
  • Plan/Saturday – OFF
  • Plan/Sunday – Philadelphia Marathon!!


During our run this past Saturday, my sister was asking about our goals for the marathon.

That got me to start thinking, what are my goals? Earlier this year, I had proclaimed that I was not running a marathon this year.  After running two last year and having a sore hamstring, I was ready for a year off from training.

The problem was that my boyfriend had gotten the marathon bug. Once he decided he was going to run one, I didn’t want to miss out on all the fun. Plus, running the Philadelphia Marathon would add a new city to my repertoire.

Back to goals. I am going to set two goals, 1 stretch and 1 realistic. 
  • Stretch Goal: Finish in the 4:30s. This could happen if all the stars aligned. Perfect weather, I felt incredible and strong, right amount of fuel, good course.
  • Realistic Goal: Finish in the 4:40s. This is where I realistically think we will be based on all of our training runs. Granted, we have run some hilly training runs and Philly is supposed to be a flatter course, so you never know.
For both of these we need to stay consistent throughout the entire run. I think we will start out running in the high 9 min miles. Then, we will slip to a more even 10 min mile pace. The goal is to hold that for as long as we can, leaving us some time padding towards the last miles of the race when things get harder.

*Updated* If anyone is interested in tracking me through the race – my BIB # is 6815 (Lauren Brown) and they are going to have Runner Tracking available. I realize I just gave out my last name, but since it is pretty common, I think I am safe.  (and hopefully scary people dont read this blog.)  I will also be updating twitter throughout the weekend, so follow me for those updates.

Friday night, we have tickets to see BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN in Baltimore and I am so freakin excited. Then, our plan is to drive up to Philadelphia Saturday afternoon to get settled into our hotel and then head over to the race expo/packet pick-up. We want to have a good pasta dinner somewhere.

Anyone from Philadelphia know a great Italian place we should make reservations?

16 comments:

Jillian (back to the nest) November 18, 2009 at 10:48 AM  

I live in the Philly area, and might go to the marathon just to watch.

If you're looking for real authentic Italian, Ralph's in South Philly is great-I've been there a bunch of times. I also love La Famiglia-they always have a really creative menu.

And even though they're chains-Bucca Di Beppo and Maggiano's are always good, if you're never been to either.

Erica November 18, 2009 at 10:51 AM  

Good luck! I can't wait to hear how it goes!! Have fun at the concert too. I totally hear you about everything needing to align to hit goal times! I had an awesome 10 mile race this past weekend (everything came together) and then today I did 11 and was a snail (it had poured this am and there were giant puddles, my tummy was having issues, etc etc). Crazy how all the little things can impact your race!

Anonymous November 18, 2009 at 11:24 AM  

I'll be at the CGI tent at the expo- come visit me :)

I suggest you visit Redding Station...lots of yummy stuff there!

Charm City Kim November 18, 2009 at 11:37 AM  

... and my goal is just to cross the finish line whether I'm walking or hobbling! :-)

My friend made a reservation at an Italian place but I have no idea where!

Anonymous November 18, 2009 at 12:26 PM  

have lots of fun. Taper does make you feel off. Enjoy Philly!

Georgie Fear November 18, 2009 at 2:35 PM  

I always feel worst during the taper - edgy, restless, and don't get me stared on the f-word.....FAT!

But rest assured, it's all just storing up energy and glycogen for the big 26.2!

Hope you have a great time, I've done Philly twice and its always been wonderful! Make sure you take a "rocky" shot on the steps....
Good Luck!

Georgie
www.AskGeorgie.com

I Run for Fun November 18, 2009 at 2:51 PM  

Good luck, girl! I will keep my fingers crossed for you!!! Hmmm...I've never had Italian in Philly...sorry I can't be of any help.

lauren November 18, 2009 at 4:47 PM  

thanks so much for the well wishes and restaurant suggestions. I am going to check them out tonight and make a decision. :)

Tyler November 18, 2009 at 10:41 PM  

good luck!!! and have fun at the springsteen concert....i saw him at bonnaroo this summer, and it was fun :)

Anonymous November 19, 2009 at 8:04 AM  

Good luck in the marathon - I know what you mean about tapering...but I can't even imagine running a marathon - so I bow down to you!! Enjoy the concert - and eat lots of good food. Enjoy the last couple of days - your going to want the energy :)

Anonymous November 19, 2009 at 8:04 AM  

Good luck in the marathon - I know what you mean about tapering...but I can't even imagine running a marathon - so I bow down to you!! Enjoy the concert - and eat lots of good food. Enjoy the last couple of days - your going to want the energy :)

Anonymous November 21, 2009 at 4:02 PM  

Good luck in the marathon!! Can't wait to hear how it goes!

Erin November 22, 2009 at 11:52 AM  

I hope you did awesome today Lauren! I didn't make it over b/c life is still hectic here in H'burg. But you have gorgeous weather for your big run!!

Kelly November 22, 2009 at 2:50 PM  

Good luck with the marathon!

Bliss November 23, 2009 at 10:39 PM  

I lived in Philadelphia for years. There is a great (small!) italian restaurant called Porcini's located just north of Rittenhouse Square. The address is 2048 Sansom street (sansom is b/t walnut and chestnut). The owner is amazing. Order the squash ravioli if they have them. The mussels are always fresh. My favorite (non-Itailian) Philly restaurants is Aubrey Claire. AC is located on the corner of 20th & Spruce. It's fresh meditteranean/fusionish food. So yummy! Thinking about it is making my mouth water.

There are so many great eats in Philly. Let me know if you try one of my suggestions and what you thought of it.

Bliss November 23, 2009 at 10:41 PM  

oops! I realized my comment is just a bit late. I hope you met your marathon goal!

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP