11.12.2009

Beam Me Home

Tonight is my last night in Grand Rapids, MI.  The kind folks at GRGrub gave me a bunch of awesome-sounding places to eat while in town, but I didnt realize I wasnt staying downtown.  Normally, I would be excited to venture out, but I forgot my glasses and that makes driving at night difficult, especially in a new town. 

Uccello's was a quick drive from the hotel and had gotten awards for best pizza in Grand Rapids.

I started with a garden salad and the house balsamic dressing.  The dressing was good and the salad was fresh.  For the pizza, I ordered a grilled margherita.

I was disappointed as soon as I opened the box. I expected the grilled crust to be crispy.


It was soggy and seemed like they took a piece of store-bought flatbread and threw it on the grill.  Not at all like was described in the menu as " a 9" hand-formed crust brushed lightly with garlic butter and olive oil grilled over an open flame".  nope - it definitely wasnt that.  I barely ate any of it , which is saying something if I can stomach pizza! 

I ended up popping popcorn to go with my salad.  I also enjoyed a mini Diet Dr Pepper.  Love it.

Workouts 

When I arrived at the hotel earlier in the week, I was disappointed to see that the gym was the same size as Storage Room B.  Monday night, I did a 25 min upper body lifting working with the free weights they had available.

The next day, I was talking to the instructor of my class about it and she mentioned she had a free week-long pass to her gym that she would be happy to give to me.  YESSSS.

MVP Sports Club was a huge, awesome gym with the nicest treadmills I have ever run on.  Touchscreens on each one and there were at least 40 of them.
  • Tuesday, I ran 4.2 miles in 40 mins.
  • Tonight (Thursday), I ran 3.0 miles in 30 mins.
Tomorrow, I have my last full day of class and then am heading home to Baltimore.  I am so excited to see Kevin and my animals - it has been lonely in the hotel room all by myself!  I am ready to be home!

3 comments:

Erica November 13, 2009 at 6:26 AM  

ahhh traveling. Nice job on the free workout pass. If I'm going to be somewhere for a week, I usually find a local gym and go and try and buy (or score a free) pass. Have a safe trip home!

Anonymous November 13, 2009 at 9:06 AM  

Ahhh - hate it when pizza sucks! Usually I eat it anyways though...I ordered one the other night and it was a bit cold...but looked sooo good ;)
I just added you to my BlogRoll - hope you don't mind! - do the same if you like please - I love new readers :)

MacDuff November 17, 2009 at 9:36 AM  

Oy vey. Sorry - I'm originally from Michigan, and Grand Rapids is not one of our most delightful corners. I think I remember it being a dry county when I was growing up, so if you can at least order a glass of wine, be thankful!

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP