8.19.2009

PePaw Soup

This recipe comes from Kevin's grandfather - otherwise known as "PePaw" - pronounced pee-paw. It may seem familiar because I had tried to re-create this awhile back based on what I thought was in there without having the recipe, but this, is the real deal. There was some question over whether I could post this on the blog for all to see, but I think it is best to share a great recipe!


Ingredients

  • soup meat w/ extra bone (beef shank cross cut)
  • 2lb can tomato sauce + 3 cans of H20
  • 15 oz can tomato sauce + 1 can of H20
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 4 beef bouillon cubes
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 4 stalks celery, diced
  • 5-6 carrots, diced
  • 2 cans of cut green beans, drained
  • 1 package frozen corn
  • 1 package frozen lima beans
  • 1 package frozen peas
  • 1/2 head of cabbage, sliced
  • 1-2 turnips, diced

  1. Add tomato sauce, H20, meat w/ bone, salt, pepper, bouillon cubes, onions, carrots & celery to a large pot.
  2. Bring to a boil, then cover & reduce heat to simmer for 1.5 hours
  3. Add cabbage & turnip, simmer for another 30 mins
  4. Add all frozen vegetables & green beans, simmer for another 30 mins.
  5. Enjoy!

I will warn you that this stuff is very addicting. It gives you that good soup burn/tingle on the back of your throat as it goes down. Makes it hard to put down the spoon.

Be sure you have some bread on hand to sop up all the flavor. You wont want to leave a drop of this in the bowl.

5 comments:

Erica August 20, 2009 at 6:28 AM  

Family recipes are the best! This looks fabulous. My grandpa made the best pasta sauce and coleslaw! I need to get my hands on both recipes!!

Anonymous August 20, 2009 at 7:48 AM  

I am going to save this recipe for the fall when the cooler air comes in. I can't wait!!

Matt August 20, 2009 at 11:10 AM  

Looks good. Kind of reminds me of chili. I bet that would be awesome with some cornbread!

Alison Can Read August 20, 2009 at 2:43 PM  

That sounds wonderful! It reminds me of a soup that my dad makes - we've always called it "Dad's soup." Very creative.

Grace August 21, 2009 at 6:42 AM  

Pepaw still makes it better!

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP