6.23.2009

Full Day

Lately, I have been on an egg kick in the mornings. But yesterday, I wanted some good old OATS. In the mix: oats, skim milk, cinnamon, bee pollen, blueberries, 1/2 banana, spoonful of natural PB.

I needed all that good energy for the hour and fifteen minute Total Conditioning class that I took with my sister at her gym (Lifetime Fitness in Columbia, MD). That gym is HUGE and AMAZING. The class completely kicked our butts - I had no idea that my body could produce that much sweat. I munched on a Peanut Butter Larabar on the way home.


This is what I saw when I walked in the door after class. Oscar was ready for his walk. For lunch, I knew I wanted to have a salad because we had SO many veggies to use up, but I wanted something HOT. I sauteed yellow squash, mushrooms, and onions in a little EVOO. Seasoned with oregano, basil, salt, and pepper. Placed on top of field greens and topped with feta cheese.
Oh wait, what are those things on the side? Oven roasted potatoes. I sliced up potatoes and tossed in EVOO, salt, and pepper then baked at 450 degrees for 30-40 minutes, flipping once or twice.
Later on, my sweet tooth hit me, so I combined a container of Honey Oikos Greek Yogurt, grape nuts, and blueberries. That hit the spot.
Later that night, even though my entire body hurt from Total Conditioning, Kevin convinced me to go mountain biking. It was a beautiful night - check out that sky!
Unfortunately, the trails in Patapsco were not that beautiful. They were extremely muddy from all the rain we have been getting. After falling in a mud pond and then a stream - I was irritable and ready to go home.

We stuck it out and eventually got back onto some trails that weren't as muddy - that is when it became fun again. Kevin got this video of me biking through a stream. Wheeee!



By the end, I was tired, but felt good to get back out on my mountain bike - it had been awhile. We have the Off-Road Duathlon in a few weeks, so we HAVE to get ready.
For dinner, I had made a Beef Vegetable Soup earlier in the afternoon that turned out better than expected. I say that because I just sort of threw a bunch of stuff in a pot and hoped for the best.


What Went into the Pot:
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 white onion diced
  • 1 celery stalk, diced
  • 1-2 cups shredded cabbage
  • Beef Stew Cubes
  • 2 splashes of red wine
  • 1 package frozen soup vegetables (okra, green beans, corn, potatoes, celery, onions, carrots, lima beans, and peas)
  • 2 cans Hunts Tomato Sauce (14.5 oz each)
  • 2 cans Beef Broth - fat free (14.5 oz each)
  • 1 can Hunts Diced Tomatoes in Sauce (14.5 oz)
  • 1 bay leaf
  • lots of ground black pepper
  • salt to taste
  • splash of Worcestershire sauce
  • a bit of dried oregano
  • a bit of dried basil
  • about 2 tablespoons of fresh parsley
We picked up some cheese bread from Panera on the way home that was perfect for dunking.
I topped mine with feta cheese because I am a firm believer in that fact that cheese makes everything better. :)


Hope you are getting out there to enjoy this wonderful summer weather!

14 comments:

Matt June 23, 2009 at 6:00 PM  

Amen to cheese! I love that stuff!

K from ksgoodeats June 23, 2009 at 6:22 PM  

That lunch sounds awesome! Can't beat sauteed/roasted veggies!

Aw, Oscar!! Way to go with the ride :)

Erica June 23, 2009 at 9:08 PM  

mmmmmmmmmm I love warm veggies on top of a cooler salad- awesome! You got in some great workouts and good eats. Fab day ;)

I Run for Fun June 23, 2009 at 10:29 PM  

That ride sounds like fun! Apart from the muddy piece, that is!

Alison Can Read June 23, 2009 at 10:43 PM  

Your soup sounds fabulous!

I love the total conditioning class at Lifetime. I wish it fit into my schedule. I usually have trouble walking for several days after I take it.

ChickPea June 23, 2009 at 11:52 PM  

Yum! Your lunch looks divine!

Anonymous June 24, 2009 at 1:13 AM  

Bee pollen in oatmeal? Interesting! Is it like honey?

lauren June 24, 2009 at 8:18 AM  

allison/right there with you on that one...it is like different parts of me are sore that I never knew existed!

heyitstay/I left a comment on your page about the bee pollen, but for any others interested...The bee pollen is not sweet, in fact, I don't really even taste it besides a little crunch every not and then. I had picked some up awhile back because it is supposed to be a super food and has a ton of protein.

Anonymous June 24, 2009 at 8:33 AM  

I love your dog! And yes, cheese makes everything better!

RunningLaur June 24, 2009 at 10:36 AM  

That's one busy day! And everythings better with cheese, agreed.

Anonymous June 24, 2009 at 11:21 AM  

Cheese does make eveything better!! Fun video. And, Oikos honey is my favorite.

Anonymous June 24, 2009 at 3:56 PM  

Oscar is too cute! I just want to sit down on the floor and hug him!!

Melinda June 27, 2009 at 10:55 PM  

Looks like you had fun mountain biking!

Frances July 3, 2009 at 1:36 PM  

Wyoming! Everyone knows Yellowstone was the first National Park! My freshman year (HS) teacher was also from Wyoming and now that I think of it she was very proud of the her state's feminist credentials.

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP