5.07.2009

Greenhorn AR (Part 2) and Bachelorette Party

Seems like forever ago that we did the Greenhorn Adventure Race (and I promised a Part 2). I have still been feeling pretty overwhelmed with my new job.


It is more about me figuring out if I am cut out for "management". While it is the next logical step in most people's minds - I need to feel personally satisfied in my job and doing the actual work gives me that more than telling someone what to do. So, there may be some tough conversations coming up in the next few days.


But...back to the adventure race...the pictures from the race were disappointing. There were no pictures of us during the run OR the bike.


The run was extremely tough and more like a steep hike up a mountain at times. We went straight up 2400 feet to the top of a mountain!! What goes up, must come down - so we decided to take a "short-cut" trail down, which was marked - extremely difficult.


They weren't joking. It was basically STRAIGHT DOWN with rocks and sticks and pricker bushes. People were falling and I had to watch every step very carefully. Luckily, we made it down in one piece.


Kevin and I eventually checked the map and decided to follow a stream down the rest of the mountain. That was fun and exciting, since we were basically making our own trail, but our legs and arms took a beating from all the pricker bushes.


We eventually found our way to the canoes and maneuvered over (through wind) to the first checkpoint on the lake. Notice all the boats behind us - we were doing pretty good - and hadn't killed each other yet. ;)


The canoe was almost tipping over in the picture below because Kevin liked to shift his weight with each stroke of his paddle, but overall we were working well as a team.
It was a tough mountain bike course but I think this is where we were most prepared. I felt strong on my bike, so Kevin and I were able to pass a bunch of people. The course felt easy and fun - with a few rough patches. Me and my muddy mountain bike are below - after the race.Once we racked our bikes, we had one last checkpoint to hit before we could finish. It was about 200 yards off the shore in the middle of the lake. You could either swim or paddle on a inner tube to reach it. We originally started out swimming. The water was 52 degrees. I repeat - the water was 52 degrees. We sulked back to shore and grabbed inner tubes.Well, Kevin sulked back in and I ran in as fast as I could. ha. It was really hard to paddle out on an inner tube. I ended up falling off into the 52 degree water. It was hilarious and really cold. BRRRR.


I figured I would get there faster by swimming, so I just went with it at that point. Kevin was already ahead of me and as long as we were 100 yards from each other - he could get the checkpoint and come back to me.I came out of the water laughing as we made our way to the finish line. This adventure race stuff is a blast.


Anyone notice my bloody finger in the picture below? (sorry if it grosses anyone out) Somehow I slit it on something while in the water....
We did it!! The most exciting thing is that a few days later, when they posted the results....we found out that Kevin and I placed 8th out of 39 co-ed duo teams!!


I thought that was pretty darn good for our first one...so we are already planning how we will place in the top 3 next year. Preferably #1.


I have been doing some other fun stuff recently too. This past weekend, I headed to the beach to celebrate my friend, Erica's, bachelorette party weekend!
We took some fun shots....and I hung out with this guy below a little too much.
Jeremiah Weed - Sweet Tea Vodka which I mixed with Crystal Light Lemonade. It is the most refreshing drink!
The entire group at dinner Saturday night. We headed to a place called - Castaways. I chose two appetizers as my meal. Seared Scallops w/ spinach and tomatoes in a citrus sauce. Oh man - this was SO good. I ate every bite and tried to drink as much of the sauce as I could.
Jerk seasoned, grilled chicken fingers, which I couldn't even finish. They were spicy and perfectly cooked.
After dinner, we hopped into a limo to head up to Dewey Beach to go out for the night. It was a blast!!! But...that's all for now folks...I am exhausted.


Oh - I have decided NOT to do the Baltimore Marathon this year. I just don't think I could take it on this summer. BUT, I do plan to train for the half marathon!


This Saturday - I am riding in the Tour de Cure Bike Ride to benefit Diabetes. I am on my father's team - Bagel Bikers. I decided to do the 50k (31 miles) bike ride, so hopefully it will go ok since I haven't been on my road bike since last year's ride. oopsie. :)


Hope everyone has a fantastic weekend and HAPPY MOTHER's DAY!!!

17 comments:

Anonymous May 7, 2009 at 11:08 PM  

Good work!! That sounds like SUCH a fun race, and a seriously fun weekend after :D Have fun this weekend good luck!

Anonymous May 7, 2009 at 11:10 PM  

Congrats on such a fun looking race!! And sweet tea vodka is my new obsession, have you ever seen Firefly brand? It's the best!

Erin May 7, 2009 at 11:32 PM  

Wow, you are a machine girl.

Aw. Erica's party looks fun. Wish her the best from us!

Kara May 7, 2009 at 11:53 PM  

I think my friend did that race, too! It looks really fun! Hope work winds down for you soon!

ChickPea May 8, 2009 at 12:16 AM  

Wow! Looks like you've been having a blast!

Unknown May 8, 2009 at 12:25 AM  

that race sounds awesome!! and what a fun party ;)

Erica May 8, 2009 at 5:49 AM  

You are a busy lady! Thanks for the race pics! Bummer there are none during the run or bike! Good luck this weekend

Anonymous May 8, 2009 at 7:19 AM  

What a fun post! Grat job to you and Kevin in the adventure race. It really looks like you had a blast. Hope the ride goes well this weekend.

Hang in there with the job. You are still in a transition period.

Anonymous May 8, 2009 at 9:57 AM  

Missed you!

I hope you get everything worked out at work, and find a way to get personal enjoyment from it.

8th place is GREAT! Congratz!

Good luck on the half training. :)

tfh May 8, 2009 at 11:00 AM  

8th place? Wow! You two are a great team.

K from ksgoodeats May 8, 2009 at 1:59 PM  

I laughed at "we hadn't killed each other yet"! CONGRATS!!! You guys kicked booty!

Sweet tea vodka?! I need to find some of that!

I Run for Fun May 8, 2009 at 3:24 PM  

Congratulations again! That's an awesome job. You both had a blast and kicked some butt, too.

Sounds like a fun weekend too.

Good luck at work...hope it all works out.

Anonymous May 8, 2009 at 10:21 PM  

you have been missed! I am so sorry i havent gotten your blondies out to you yet - I dont even think I have your address. things have been really crazy over here.

hope you have a great race tomorrow!

Anonymous May 8, 2009 at 10:22 PM  

PS - i am having a giveaway!

Amelia May 9, 2009 at 7:14 PM  

Congrats on the race! Y'all did a great job! I have never heard of an adventure race but it sounds soo cool.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend! :)

Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) May 12, 2009 at 8:55 PM  

Congrats on the race!

brookesballbuster May 12, 2009 at 9:55 PM  

Congrats on the new job and on the race!! I hope you are getting a bit more used to your job:) I'm sure you're having lots of success!

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP